Houston County Board of Education Approves School Calendar for 2023-2024
Tuesday, June 21st, 2022
The Houston County Board of Education approved the calendar for the 2023-2024 school year during their monthly meeting on June 14, 2022. The calendar is similar to the model the school district has used for several years. The school year will begin August 2, 2023, and end May 22, 2024.
When planning Houston County’s school calendar, the following is considered:
· State and national testing dates
· 180 days of school for students
· 190 work days for faculty, to include 10 professional learning and planning days
· Traditional holidays
· Dividing the year as close as possible to 90 days per semester
· Ending the first semester before Christmas break so students take finals at the end of the semester instead of after the break.
The calendar observes several holidays during the school year: Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and Presidents' Day. The calendar has a week off in October for fall break, in November for Thanksgiving and the beginning of April for spring break. Students and employees will also be off for two weeks for Christmas and New Year’s holidays between the first and second semesters.
The last day of school each semester will be a half day on December 20, 2023, and May 22, 2024. Students will have two distance learning days on September 5, 2023, and February 20, 2024. Graduation is planned for May 24 and 25, 2024, which is the weekend before Memorial Day.
The calendar is shown below and can also be found at www.hcbe.net/calendar.