Main Street Macon Vying for $25K Cash Prize in National Contest Recognizing America's Main Streets
Friday, April 13th, 2018
On February 26, Independent We Stand, the national small business movement, kicked-off its third annual America’s Main Streets contest to help consumers, small business owners and Main Street organizations reward a deserving Main Street with $25,000 in cash and sponsor-related prizes. Main Street Macon in Macon is among this year’s nominees.
America’s Main Streets play an important role in the long-term success of communities and help build a sense of place reinforcing this year’s theme: “Local Memories. Lasting Impact.”
“Our Independent We Stand America’s Main Streets contest shines a light on the pride business owners and communities take in their Main Streets,” says Independent We Stand co-founder Bill Brunelle. “We know small businesses on these Main Streets help them thrive and have a measurable economic impact. This contest is a chance to share those stories with people from coast-to-coast.”
Main Street Macon is committed to the revitalization and economic development of downtown Macon’s Central Business District. In 2017, Main Street Macon documented over $19 million of public and private investment in downtown Macon from a variety of partners. This investment supports a strong urban core that generates sales and property tax that, in turn, helps fund projects throughout Macon-Bibb County. If given the award of $25,000 from Independent We Stand, Main Street Macon will use those funds to promote downtown Macon and its many businesses, positioning Macon’s urban core as a unique destination for tourists and locals alike.
The first round of voting in the contest began as soon as Main Street Macon was nominated and runs through April 22. All nominations and voting take place on MainStreetContest.com/profile/19.
- February 26 to April 22: “America’s Main Streets” nominations and quarterfinalist voting
- April 30 to May 27: “America’s Main Streets” semifinalist voting
- June 4: “America’s Main Streets” winner announced
- July 4: “Main Streets Make Us Better” event; “America’s Main Streets” winner announces plans for $25,000 grand prize
Additional contest prizes include:
- STIHL Equipment Certificate for $1,000 worth of STIHL equipment good at any STIHL dealer in the U.S.
- Do it Best Corp. $500 shopping spree
- PPG Paints $500 shopping spree
- Public relations and social media recognition
- Special plaque for winner to proudly display