Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Georgia Receives $4 Million Gift
Wednesday, August 22nd, 2018
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Georgia has received a $4,000,000 gift from AbbVie for a building expansion. This announcement was made at the Ronald McDonald House Charities Global Conference, held in Chicago, IL.
Since our opening, in 2002, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Georgia has served over 6,500 families for over 57,000 nights, from 131 Georgia counties, 28 states and 8 countries. This grant will allow us to more than double our capacity to serve families and provide care and support for families of seriously ill, critically injured or medically fragile children being treated at area medical facilities. Our plan is to begin construction this summer and have the project completed by the end of 2019.
Bonnie Hopkins, President and CEO, said, “AbbVie shares our vision of a world where all children have access to medical care, and where their families are supported and can be actively involved in every step of their health journey. Although we at RMHC of Central Georgia have served many families, we are heartbroken over the number of families who have been wait-listed, over 2,600. At times families were forced to sleep in waiting rooms, pay for a hotel, or travel back home, which can be far away from their child. This gift will change families’ lives! We are so very happy to have this opportunity to serve more families.”
Jennifer Sizemore Roberts, Chair of the Board, stated, “Because of this fabulous gift, we are in the final stretch to secure funds, to help us expand our facility and services opportunities within our service area. This will ensure that families will be able to stay close to their child and not have to face the financial burden so often associated with illness. We are so thankful and grateful to AbbVie for their support, vision, and commitment to families and children. ”
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Georgia receives a gift of $4,000,000, from AbbVie for building expansion.
- Construction will begin in the early fall 2018 with anticipated completion of the project at the end of 2019.
- The planned expansion will more than double the capacity to serve families.
AbbVie, a global, research and development-based biopharmaceutical company committed to developing innovated advanced therapies for some of the world’s most complex and critical medical conditions. The donation of 100 million to Ronald McDonald House Charities from Addvie is part of a larger pledge to nonprofits that help children with serious illnesses and the people who care for them.
This milestone announcement will mark the largest single gift AbbVie has ever given and the largest RMHC has ever received and will be used to:
· Build family-centered spaces and more than 600 new guest sleeping rooms at 32 Ronald McDonald Houses in the United States.
· Allow for almost 230,000 additional night stays for pediatric patients and their families (each year), enabling RMHC Chapters to begin meeting demand and serving more families sooner.
· Enhance ancillary services that support each family’s journey through care of their child, including meals, communal groceries, laundry services, parking, classrooms, playrooms and family-centered spaces, as well as supporting education initiatives saving families over $35 million in food and lodging costs each year.
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Georgia: It is the mission of Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Georgia to provide care and support for families of seriously ill, critically injured or medically fragile children being treated at area medical facilities. We believe in keeping families close. When we first opened in November 2002, we never could have imagined the enormous impact we would have on families for many years to come. When we opened our doors, we opened our hearts as well.